Speaker, Consultant, Trainer
Programs & Workshops
Leslie Canham is a dental speaker, consultant and continuing education provider specializing in Infection Control, OSHA Compliance, Dental Practice Act and HIPAA regulations. In Dentistry since 1972, Leslie has worked as dental assistant, treatment coordinator, and office manager. Leslie has since formed a successful business, Leslie Canham and Associates, providing in-office training, mock-inspections, consulting, online home study seminars and webinars. Leslie's goal is to help the dental team navigate the sea of state and federal regulations.
Leslie's live seminars are fast paced, entertaining and have earned her the reputation as an outstanding speaker in dentistry. Leslie is recognized as a continuing education provider by the Academy of General Dentistry, the California and Nevada Dental Boards and is authorized by the Department of Labor as an OSHA Outreach Trainer in General Industry Standards.
Leslie is committed to providing the dental community with up to date and accurate information. Her memberships include: The Organization for Safety, Asepsis and Prevention, The Speaking, Consulting Network, The Academy of Dental Management Consultants, The California Dental Assistants Association, The California Association of Dental Assistant Teachers, The California Dental Association and the National Speakers Association.
Leslie began her career in dentistry in 1972 working as a dental assistant for her father who was a general dentist. Leslie's experience gives her first hand knowledge of dental office operations from both the employee and employer perspective. Learning all aspects of running a dental office, Leslie gained an "in the trenches" understanding what it takes to work in both the administrative and clinical areas of a successful dental practice. When Leslie's father sold his dental practice in 1982, she worked as a temporary receptionist and assistant for several dentists. Soon the demand for her temporary services gave Leslie the idea to open a dental employment agency. Leslie recruited, interviewed and placed dentists, dental hygienists, dental assistants, and front office personnel in temporary and permanent jobs. Leslie was able to match the employee to the employer by her unique perspective of what employers and employees want from working together. Within six years Leslie sold her business and moved to northern California where she worked for a local dentist. When Leslie was assigned the task of "OSHA Coordinator", she immediately saw a need to simplify the complex regulations. One of her responsibilities was to set up and present the OSHA safety program. This presentation was the beginning of Leslie's speaking career.
- California Dental Association Policy Development Council 2008-2010
- Organization for Safety and Asepsis Procedures: Planning Committee for OSAP Symposia, Nominating committee
- Dental Assisting National Board: Test Construction Committee for National Infection Control Examination
- San Fernando Valley Dental Assistants Association: President, Employment Chairman, Treasurer, Budget Committee, Education Chairman 1983-1988
- Southern California Dental Assistants Association: Benevolence Chairman 1986-1987
- California Dental Assistants Association: State Director 1987-1988
Leslie has a reputation for taking dry subject matter and presenting it in a fast-paced and entertaining manner. Her humorous and engaging personality have audiences begging for more. In 2003, Leslie expanded her seminar business by holding her own day-long public dental seminars. Leslie understands the responsibilities of the meeting planner is eager to facilitate planners with whatever is needed.
Leslie has a long list of dental organizations and study clubs that hire her to come back every year. Several organizations state that Leslie's seminars are the best attended function of the year!
She maintains a high profile in the dental community through internet based dental forums. On one website Dentaltown.com, she is the moderator of the Infection Control forum.
Publications and Periodicals
- Canham, L. Keep Yourself In Business: Protect Your Eyes. OSAP, Infection Control in Practice Newsletter, Vol. 3, No. 2 February 2004
- Canham, L. Step Up Your Instrument Reprocessing Efficiency With Cassettes. OSAP, Infection Control in Practice Newsletter Vol. 5, No. 4, May 2006
- Dorst, J, Canham, L. Infection Protection. Orthodontics Products, October 2005
Presentation on the Web
- OSHA for Dentistry and the Basic Elements of a Bloodborne Pathogen Program. www.Dentaltown.com, online CE course
- Canham, L. Who is in charge of Infection Contol? Contemporary Dental Assisting November 2007
- Canham, L. The First Step in In Infection Control is Hand Hygiene, Journal of the American Dental Assistants Assocication 2011
Learn at Home Programs
- Webinars: OSHA for Dentistry, Infection Control for California and California Dental Practice Act
- Home Study Courses: OSHA Annual Bloodborne Pathogen Training, Infection Control for California and California Dental Practice Act, Waht about MRSAa in Dentistry?, What is the Role of the Infection Control Coordinator?, HIPAA for Dentistry, Safe Dental Care Begins with Sterilization and Disinfection.
Leslie's Personal Background
Leslie was born in El Paso, Texas. Shortly thereafter her family moved to California. Leslie has remained in California and resides on a 21 acre ranch in the foothills of the Sierras. Leslie enjoys working with her horses, paddle boarding, scuba diving, skiing, dancing and scrapbooking. Leslie is married and has eight children and twelve grandchildren.